Monday, October 31, 2011
- Cole with Axis of Evil
- Brian with Johnny Got his Gun
- Amanda with Water for Elephants
- Sarah with Lord of the Rings
- Emily with The Pact
- Hunter with Catcher in the Rye
- Brooke with The Shining
- Cassie with One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
- Maddie Dorman with I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
- Ellie with The Hunger Games
- Zoe C with The Lovely Bones
- Mackenzie M with Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
- Nick with The Adventure of Huckleberry Finn
- Jeremy with Of Mice and Men
- Troy with In Cold Blood
- Lauren with Brave New World
- Alex with The Bluest Eye
- Zoe with Slaughter House Five
- Andrew with Jumper
- Cole with Running Loose
- Joanna with Lolita
- Maddie McGhee with I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
- Colin with Cujo
- Madison T with Stotan!
- Taylor with Gone With the Wind
Sunday, October 30, 2011
- Joey- Lays Potato Chips
- Nick- Doritos
- Rachael- Pretzels
- Brooke- Popcorn
- Zoe- Cheesy Popcorn
- Sarah- Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Alex- Puppy Chow
- Ellie- Brownies
- Sam- Oreos
- Mackenzie- Cookies
- Maddie- Scones
- Amanda- Blueberry Muffins
- Megan- Hawaiian Punch
- Jeremy & Marco- Soda Pop
- Andrew- Soda Pop
- Cole- Napkins
- Brian- Forks/Spoons
- Zoey- Plates
- Troy- Cups
Friday, October 28, 2011
- Emma- popcorn
- Ruth- pretzels
- Savannah- chips con queso
- James- chips
- Alison- brownies
- Sophia- cookies
- Shannon- puppy chow
- Savannah- pastries
- Nick- candy
- Sean- ice cream
- Grant- Root Beer
- Alex B.- Sprite
- Alex D.- 2L Fanta
- Savannh- soda
- Delany- hot coco mix
- Amber- white napkins
- Monica- black and orange napkins
- Liz- plates
- Jacqueline- cups
- Alison- insulated cups
- Annabelle- Utensils
Thursday, October 27, 2011
Today in 5th hour Honors English, we worked on the essay for Fahrenheit 451, "The Pedestrian", and "Harrison Bergeron". The whole class period was devoted to this, so there isn't much to tell. Due to the limitation of time and the perfectionist nature of honors students, one paragraph was actually taken out of the assignment. All you have to do is 2 body paragraphs, but keep all three reasons in the thesis. Also, we were allowed to edit our papers for 15 minutes over night. Remember, only 15 minutes to edit. We filed out of class then, happy to have some extra time to work on the essay.
The essay must be printed out and ready before class tomorrow!!! There will be no printing in class!!!
SAT Lesson 7
Study for SAT Test Tomorrow (Study word, definition, part of speech, and antonyms/synonyms)
Keep working on the banned book project due Monday
Bring essay to class printed tomorrow
-Turn in SAT vocab exercises on Section 7, and come ready for SAT test
-Come to class with finished Fahrenheit 451 comparison essay with outline ready to turn in
-Read banned book, and work on banned book movie trailer.
Wednesday, October 26, 2011
The homework for tonight is the fallowing: Work on banned book project, read banned book, do outline for essay and SAT 7 exercises. You will need to now the words definition, part of speech and the synonyms and antonyms for the test on Friday. There is a chance that we will be in C9 tomorrow so be prepared to use the triple e computers.
Things to have written for tomorrow
- Thesis statement
- Attention getter with proper citation if using a quote.
- All 9 of your quotes with proper citation. example: (Bradbury, Fahrenheit,6).
- Works Cited
So class be prepared to write your essay as soon as you get into class because the essay is due by the end of the period. Although you should be prepared you should not have the entire essay complete because that is cheating and Mrs.Smith will rip it up, spill water on your computer and make you pay for it. Don’t forget to do your homework and use the notes you took in class to create a good outline for your essay.
I- 1.- #1- dichotomy, #2- laconic, #3 macroscopic, and #4- quiddity.
III- #2- measures, speed; #3- mediocre, intermediate; #4- embolism, hyperbole, symbol; #5- probe, probably.
Improving Sentences- #4- E
-SAT Words and test(spelling, definition, part of speech, synonyms and possible antonyms) Friday
-Outline, thesis, citations, and quotes for In class essay- Thursday(More info at end of blog.)
-Finish reading banned book
- Have movie trailer for banned book finished by Monday! Remember we have a work in class day on Friday, so bring your stuff.
- Have a great day!
- Remember notes taken on how to write an outline! USE THEM!!!
-Use Fahrenheit 451, Harrison Burgeon, The Pedestrian, and some modern article in your three body paragraphs. Need 3 sources and quotes per paragraph with lead in's and explanations for each.
- Examples you could use: Overly powerful gov't, conforming to the norm, technology taking over, or loss of knowledge and relationships. Feel free to come up with your own as well!
- Remember that a book needs to be italicized or underlined, but short stories need to be in quotes.
- Since prompt is a two part question (Go to Smith's page and slide show to find it.), thesis needs to be a two part sentence, use a semi-colon. Ex: Bradbury and Vonnegut's warn in their works of the dangers of technology, the destructive nature of an overpowering gov't, and the loss of knowledge because of both; in today's society, these have come true.
- Intro paragraph needs attention getter and thesis: should be two- three sentences long. Title, author, restate question, thesis.
Well that's all! Hope to see you tomorrow!
Your fellow blogger/classmate,
Tuesday, October 25, 2011
Monday, October 24, 2011
1) Work on your Banned Book project. Remember, it is due a week from today: Halloween.
2) Prepare for our in-class work day on the Banned Book projects tomorrow. Come to class with all the materials that you need to make it a productive work time.
3) Study in preparation for tomorrow's quiz over the third part of Fahrenheit 451.
4) Start working on SAT Lesson 7. The exercises are due on Friday, the same day that the quiz will be taken. Remember, we do not need to do the essay writing portion of Exercise Five!
Once the preceding assignments were jotted down in each student's planner, there was a review over this week's SAT words. (They include adroit, macroscopic, fatuous, bovine, ferret, affectation, knell, dichotomy, callow, laconic, quiddity, patent, peccadillo, sagacious, and rationalize) Smith noted that it is helpful to know the pronunciations of each word. There is a pronunciation guide on page nine of your vocabulary book to help you.
As soon as that was over, one person from each partnership of the Element Symbol groups gave a brief presentation of their project. They would state the element, the element ranking, and the symbolism behind each item on their piece of cardstock. Each one now helps to make up the periodic table on the bulletin board.
The class ended with our final Fahrenheit 451 fishbowl. This conversation brought up several questions that we felt needed answering with the end of the book. To find the comments from the outer circle's live blogging conversations, follow this link.
Have a wonderful rest-of-the evening, everyone!
Sunday, October 23, 2011
As we all got situated for a food drive friday in fifth period Smith announced our homework over the weekend. Item number one on the homework list, is to remember to be reading your Farenheit 451 books over the weekend. Be sure to get all the way through page 179 as we will be having a quiz over those pages. Due Monday is your symbolism projects! Be sure to have them ready as you walk into class. Also, remember to be reading your banned book. Your projects for those are due in a couple weeks. The rest of class was very uneventful as we took our lesson 1-6 SAT words quiz and worked in our groups on the symbolism project.
HAVE A GREAT WONDER WOMAN WEEKEND
Saturday, October 22, 2011
Friday, October 21, 2011
FUN FACT: The average movie costs 98 million dollars to make! Promotion and marketing (including creating the trailers) can take up to 5% of that total. So what do you do if you don't have a few million bucks to make your banned book trailer? First thing...don't freak out! Second...make a storyboard. Once you see your idea on paper it's a lot easier to determine if you can actually pull off the visuals, music and sound effects you're thinking about.
REMEMBER...LESS IS MORE! GUESS WHAT?! The Drama Department is running a trailer for the fall play "The People vs. Maxine Lowe" during lunchtimes in the cafe. Check it out!!! Also it has that cool green screen with "This preview has been approved for all audiences" at the beginning just like a real trailer. I know a few of you have an idea to use this at the top of your trailers too. The Drama Department Producer just pulled it off of YouTube.
HOW TO MAKE A STORY BOARD Go to www.educationworld.com click on teachers Tools and Templates, then click on Language Arts templates then scroll down to other templates and you'll see Storyboard 8 panel. Click on it and print out. In each box, draw your visual then write your copy (script) in the spaces below. Remember to add notes about music or sound effects.
Will your trailer GARNER THE DESIRED RESPONSE? Did you remember that LESS IS MORE?
Thursday, October 20, 2011
"Hello Everybody!" "Hello Smith!"
- Macy told us about the food drive and her choir class. She wants us to bring in cans, non-perishable food (cereal, mac and cheese etc.) and money donations; if possible. The school goal is to get 500 filled boxes by end of next Friday. Mrs. Smith came up with an idea for our class, $10 per kid and give the money to Macy by Monday. Mrs. Smith will bake up a storm for us!
- Liz had an announcement for animoto. Smith’s account is full. Liz created another one. The redemption code is: A4eericf5dac6f
- Sophia posted a blog on Mrs. Smith's wall. You can post any questions you have about the movie trailer and Mrs. Frisky will answer them.
- read 137-179 and 3questions (due Monday)
- read banned book
- symbolic element- (due Monday)
- SAT (1-6) quiz tomorrow- word and definition
- Work on movie trailer
- 3 weeks of all our work is up on line!!
Class, we had a fantastic fishbowl today covering pages 92-136 in Fahrenheit 451. Check out the blog to review all the thought provoking comments and questions. :D
When Ms. Smith polled the class about how everyone felt about the current due date for the symbolic project, there was an unanimous “oh no”. She kindly gave us an extension so the project is now due on Monday October 24th.
Remember to study for the SAT vocab test tomorrow over chapters 1-6.
● study for the SAT vocab quiz tomorrow over chapters 1-6
● read pages 137-179 and bring 3 questions to the fishbowl, due Monday
● symbolic project due Monday
● banned book project due October 31
Wednesday, October 19, 2011
- Read our banned book (try to read about 20 pages a night)
- Read 91-136 (3 questions due tomorrow)
- Symbolic element
- Review SAT 5 and 6
- Mention/present your product and share its information/benefits in the best creative way to garner the desired response!
- (Mention product) The name of the movie
- (Info/Benefits) Plot points or cool prestige elements such as the director's or actor's names.
- (Creative) Exciting editing, clever copy, memorable scenes or dialogue, compelling music
- (Desired Response) TICKET SALES!
- Include sensory elements to the movie trailer!
- And lastly, LESS IS MORE!